Wuhan Novel Coronavirus (Wuhan-nCoV) Resources
January 23, 2020
The Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District (LGL) Health Unit is following the lead of the Ontario Ministry of Health, Public Health Ontario (PHO, including PIDAC), and the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) in responding to Wuhan novel coronavirus (Wuhan-nCoV). For web-links describing Wuhan-nCoV and the general situation, please see web resources at the bottom of this message.
Information regarding Wuhan-nCoV is evolving with time, and the Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit will provide further updates as additional guidance becomes available from provincial sources. Currently, the LGL Health Unit recommends that health care providers become familiar with PIDAC’s “Best Practices for Prevention of Transmission of Acute Respiratory Infection In All Health Care Settings”. Section C. 1., “Additional Precautions for Acute Respiratory Infection” describes specific infection prevention and control (IPAC) measures when patients arrive in a health care setting with symptoms of an acute respiratory infection (ARI).
In addition to the above guidance, practitioners in hospital settings may also benefit from the following resources:
- PIDAC Best Practices for Prevention, Surveillance and Infection Control Management of Novel Respiratory Infections in All Health Care Settings
- PHOL testing instructions if Wuhan-nCoV is suspected
- Ministry of Health guidance for MERS-CoV
At the time of writing, if Wuhan-nCoV is suspected because of fever and ARI or pneumonia and travel history to Wuhan or neighbouring cities within 14 days prior to symptom onset, it is recommended that the patient be assessed in a hospital setting.
Please alert the hospital in advance of the patient’s arrival and supply the patient with a surgical mask to be worn in the presence of other people and when entering the hospital. Laboratory workup for respiratory pathogens will be in conjunction with PHO Laboratory and requires telephone communication with PHOL as per their instructions in the above link.
Please report to the Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit any suspected cases of Wuhan-nCoV so that we can provide guidance for any contacts.
List of documents within the text above:
- Best Practices for Prevention of Transmission of Acute Respiratory Infection In All Health Care Settings
- Best Practices for Prevention, Surveillance and Infection Control Management of Novel Respiratory Infections in All Health Care Settings
- Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Testing
- Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion