Food Handler Certification
As of July 1, 2018 Ontario Regulation 493/17 Food Premises requires that each food premises has a least one certified food handler or supervisor present at all times during hours of operation. The Health Unit works with local food businesses to help meet their training needs by providing the following options for learning.
- Classroom Style Learning – One day course includes course materials and exam for $55.00.
- Home-study Manual – Work at your own pace. Download the Home-study Manual free of charge or purchase a printed copy at the Health Unit for $20.00.
- Home-study Review Questions must be completed prior to booking the exam. A copy of the answers must be submitted electronically or you can bring a printed copy with you at the time of the exam as proof of completion.
- Book your Food Handler Training Course exam when you are ready for a fee of $25.00 or by calling the Health Unit at 1-800-660-5853.
- Online Learning – In Good Hands Module – Register directly. Book your Food Handler Training Course exam when you are ready for a fee of $25.00 or by calling the Health Unit at 1-880-660-5853. Please bring the certificate as proof of completion when you come in for your exam.
- Other Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Approved Service Providers
- Full day courses may be offered at your place of business provided you have a minimum of 20 people in attendance, and an instructor is available. We encourage you to partner with other food premises when arranging these courses.
A minimum grade of 70% must be achieved on a standardized closed book multiple choice exam in order to receive your food handler certificate. Picture ID is required to take the exam. This certificate is accepted by all health units in Ontario and is valid for 5 years.
What Topics Are Covered in this Course?
The topics that are covered within this course include:
- Introduction to Food Safety and Legislation
- Food-borne Illness
- Conditions Bacteria Require for Growth (FATTOM)
- Safe Food Handling
- Understanding Cross-contamination
- Receiving and Storage
- Safe Food Service
- Food Handler Hygiene
- Cleaning and Sanitizing
- Pest Control
- Keeping Food Safe During Emergencies
- HACCP Food Safety Management
How to Register for the Classroom Style Learning Option
Courses will be provided on the following dates and locations:
Brockville Office: 458 Laurier Boulevard
- Monday, June 17, 2019 – NOW FULL
- Monday, August 26, 2019
- Monday, September 23, 2019
- Monday, October 21, 2019
- Monday, November 18, 2019
- Monday, December 9, 2019
Smiths Falls Office: 25 Johnston Street
- Monday, May 27, 2019 – NOW FULL
- Monday, June 24, 2019 – NOW FULL
- Monday, August 19, 2019
- Monday, September 30, 2019
- Monday, October 28, 2019
- Monday, November 25, 2019
- Monday, December 9, 2019
Full day courses run from 9:00am–4:00pm with breaks including a half hour break for lunch (please bring your own refreshments and lunch). Registration starts at 8:30am when the office is open for business.
Class sizes are limited to 25 participants and registration is on a first come basis.
As many people are sensitive to scents and fragrances we ask that you do not use these products when attending a course at the Health Unit.
We require that all personal devices be turned off during the instructional period to ensure participants are not disturbed.
You may register for the course directly through Eventbrite by clicking the date you wish to attend and scrolling down to the register now button just above the map. Or you may register by phone by calling 613-345-5685 (Brockville Office) or 613-283-2740 (Smiths Falls Office). Toll free number 1-800-660-5853. The cost of the course is $55.00. You may pay the day of the course with cash, cheque, debit or VISA (processing fee applies).
Picture ID is required to take the exam.
Certificates will be issued within 15 business days.