Food Handler Certification
As of July 1, 2018 Ontario Regulation 493/17 Food Premises requires that each food premises has a least one certified food handler or supervisor present at all times during hours of operation. The Health Unit works with local food businesses to help meet their training needs by providing the following options for learning.
- Classroom Style Learning – One day course includes course materials and exam for $35.00.
- Home-study Manual – Work at your own pace. Download the Home-study Manual free of charge or purchase a printed copy at the Health Unit for $15.00.
- Book your exam when you are ready for a fee of $25.00 by calling the Health Unit at 1-800-660-5853.
- Online Learning – In Good Hands Module – Register directly. Book your exam when you are ready for a fee of $25.00 by calling the Health Unit at 1-880-660-5853. Please bring the certificate as proof of completion when you come in for your exam.
- Other Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Approved Service Providers
- Full day courses may be offered at your place of business provided you have a minimum of 20 people in attendance, and an instructor is available. We encourage you to partner with other food premises when arranging these courses.
A minimum grade of 70% must be achieved on a standardized closed book multiple choice exam in order to receive your food handler certificate. Picture ID is required to take the exam. This certificate is accepted by all health units in Ontario and is valid for 5 years.
What Topics Are Covered in this Course?
The topics that are covered within this course include:
- Introduction to Food Safety and Legislation
- Food-borne Illness
- Conditions Bacteria Require for Growth (FATTOM)
- Safe Food Handling
- Understanding Cross-contamination
- Receiving and Storage
- Safe Food Service
- Food Handler Hygiene
- Cleaning and Sanitizing
- Pest Control
- Keeping Food Safe During Emergencies
- HACCP Food Safety Management
How to Register for the Classroom Style Learning Option
Courses will be provided on the following dates and locations:
Brockville Office: 458 Laurier Boulevard
- Monday, March 26, 2018 – NOW FULL
- Monday, May 28, 2018 – NOW FULL
- Monday, June 18, 2018 – NOW FULL
- Monday, September 24, 2018 – NOW FULL
- Monday, October 22, 2018 – NOW FULL
- Monday, November 26, 2018
- Monday, December 10, 2018
Smiths Falls Office: 25 Johnston Street
- Monday, February 26, 2018
- Monday, April 23, 2018 – NOW FULL
- Monday, June 25, 2018 – NOW FULL
- Tuesday, June 26, 2018 – NOW FULL
- Monday, September 17, 2018 – NOW FULL
- Monday, October 29, 2018 – NOW FULL
- Monday, November 19, 2018 – NOW FULL
- Monday, December 10, 2018
Full day courses run from 9:00am–4:00pm with breaks including a half hour break for lunch (please bring your own refreshments and lunch). Registration starts at 8:30am when the office is open for business.
Class sizes are limited to 25 participants and registration is on a first come basis.
As many people are sensitive to scents and fragrances we ask that you do not use these products when attending a course at the Health Unit.
We require that all personal devices be turned off during the instructional period to ensure participants are not disturbed.
To register please call 613-345-5685 (Brockville office) or 613-283-2740 (Smiths Falls office). Toll Free Number 1-800-660-5853.
Picture ID is required to take the exam.
Certificates will be issued within 15 business days.