Food Handler Certification
As of July 1, 2018 Ontario Regulation 493/17 Food Premises requires that each food premises has a least one (1) certified food handler or supervisor present at all times during hours of operation.
The following food handler training options are currently available:
- October 18, 2023 – Smiths Falls: 25 Johnston Street – Fully Booked
- November 15, 2023 – Brockville: 458 Laurier Boulevard – Fully Booked
- December 6, 2023 – Smiths Falls: 25 Johnston Street
Registration is limited to 25 people per class so distancing can be offered in the classroom. Email [email protected] to register for one of the courses. Registration will be at 8:30am and courses run from 9:00am to 4:00pm including the exam and with a half hour for lunch.
Please call the Health Unit at 1-800-660-5853 to book your class now.
Online Learning Options
- In Good Hands is an all-in-one training course with the exam provided at the end.
- Training may be completed on a mobile device (phone or tablet) or laptop/desktop computer.
- Please note to complete the exam portion of the training you must have access to a laptop/desktop computer with a webcam and microphone.
- As the Health Unit is not associated with In Good Hands please contact In Good Hands directly with any technical issues or if you have not received/missed placed your certificate at 1-866-287-8828
Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
- For other on-line Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care approved service provider options please visit; Environmental Health – Ministry Programs – Health Care Professionals – MOH (gov.on.ca)
Home-study Learning Options
Once you have completed one of the two (2) options below you will then need to contact the Health Unit at 1-800-660-5853 to schedule a date for your exam. The cost associated with writing the exam is $25.00.
- Work at your own pace by downloading the manual free of charge
- Once you have completed reviewing the manual you must now complete the Food Handler Training Home Study Review questions prior to writing the exam.
Purchase Home-study Manual
- You may purchase a manual from the Brockville or Smiths Falls Health Unit office for $20.00
- Included with the manual is a printout of the ‘Food Handler Training Home-Study Review’ questions which must be completed and returned to the Health Unit prior to writing the exam. Review questions may be submitted by email at [email protected], fax 613-345-7148, or you may bring them in with you on the day of your exam.
A minimum grade of 70% must be achieved on a standardized closed book multiple choice exam in order to obtain your food handler certificate.
Picture ID is required to take the exam. This certificate is accepted by all health units in Ontario and is valid for five (5) years.
What Topics Are Covered in this Course?
The topics that are covered within this course include:
- Introduction to Food Safety and Legislation
- Food-borne Illness
- Conditions Bacteria Require for Growth (FATTOM)
- Safe Food Handling
- Understanding Cross-contamination
- Receiving and Storage
- Safe Food Service
- Food Handler Hygiene
- Cleaning and Sanitizing
- Pest Control
- Keeping Food Safe During Emergencies
- HACCP Food Safety Management