Skip to content

Our Staff & Community Recognition

If you would like to contact one of our staff please visit our Contact Us page and the message will be forwarded appropriately.

Who Works in Public Health?

Staff employed by Health Unit are required to have specific qualifications and competencies in order to implement the Ontario Public Health Standards. This is an overview of the types of positions at the Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit.

Management Level

  • Medical Officer of Health – Medical doctor with additional qualifications in Public Health and Community Medicine, and registered with College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.
  • Directors – Master’s degree in public health or relevant field (e.g. nursing, health administration, health promotion or environmental health depending on the department).
  • Business Manager – Recognized professional accounting designation.
  • Managers – Degree in Nursing, Health Promotion, Applied Science in Environmental Health or related health discipline as appropriate. Master’s degree is an asset.

Regulated Health Professions

  • Dental Hygienists – Two year college diploma in Dental Hygiene and registered with the College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario.
  • Dietitians – four year university degree in food and nutrition, Master’s degree in a nutrition related field and registered with the College of Dietitians of Ontario.
  • Nurses – Four year university degree in Nursing with a focus on public health and registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
  • Practical Nurses – Two year college diploma in Nursing and registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
  • Speech Language Pathologist – Master’s degree or equivalent in Speech-Language Pathology and registered with the College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists of Ontario (CASLPO).

Other Practitioners

  • Certified Dental Assistants – A one year college certificate in Dental Assisting and are members of the Ontario Dental Assistants Association.
  • Communication Co-ordinator – University degree and has skills in public relations, marketing and graphic design.
  • Communicative Disorders Assistant – College diploma or university degree plus Communicative Disorders Assistant college graduate certificate.
  • Computer Support – College diploma and Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP).
  • Epidemiologist – Master’s degree in Epidemiology or Community Health Epidemiology.
  • Health Promoters  – Degree in health, social sciences or related discipline.
  • Inspectors – Four year degree in Environmental Health Studies and certified with the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors.
  • Graphic Designer – College diploma in Graphic Design.
  • Tobacco Enforcement Officer – College diploma in  Law Enforcement (e.g. Police Foundations or Law and Security Administration).
  • Webmaster/Multimedia Specialist – College diploma in Multimedia Design and Production.


  • Administrative Assistants – College diploma in Office Administration and additional courses may be required for some positions.
  • Building Maintenance – Secondary School Graduate with additional courses in electrical, plumbing, H.V.A.C. and other technical areas.
  • Finance – College diploma in Office Administration program with courses in finance/accounting or Business Administration.
  • Human Resources – Degree or diploma in a Business Administration Program, with primary focus in human resources and administration.