Students aged 4–17 attending school in Ontario must be immunized according to Ontario’s Publicly Funded Immunization schedule. Being fully immunized protects students against many diseases that are easily spread in schools.
Under the Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA), students are required to be immunized against:
- Pertussis (whopping cough)
- Varicella (chickenpox)
- Meningococcal disease
Under the Immunization of School Pupils Act, students may be suspended if they are not fully immunized or if their immunization record is not up to date with Public Health.
The Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit, regularly conducts audits to identify students who do not have up to date immunization records. Students who do not meet the requirements will:
- Receive a letter requesting the required immunization information.
- If no response is received, students will receive a second notice requesting immunization information.
- If no information is provided after the second notice, a school suspension order will be sent stating the date the student will be suspended if no information is provided.
Immunization information is not provided to the Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit by Health Care Providers. Parents are responsible for providing their child’s immunization record to Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit and updating this information every time your child has an immunization.
At kindergarten or school registration, parents or guardians must complete one of the following forms and attach a copy of their child’s immunization record:
Some schools send this information to the Health Unit; other schools ask parents to submit these documents to the Health Unit.
For students entering Kindergarten, parents can send the information by:
- Online: Immunization Update
- E-mail: JKRegistrationdl@healthunit.org
- Phone: 613-283-2740
- Fax: 613-283-5410
- Mail: 25 Johnston Street, Smiths Falls, Ontario, K7A 0A4
For students entering Grades 1–12, parents can send the information by:
- Online: Immunization Update
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 613-345-5685
- Fax: 613-345-7038
- Mail: 458 Laurier Boulevard, Brockville, Ontario, K6V 7A3
Process for Exemptions From Immunization
If your child is medically unable to receive the required immunizations, a statement of medical exemption must be completed by a physician or nurse practitioner.
As of September 1, 2017 parents choosing to not vaccinate their child for conscience or religious belief, must:
- Complete the immunization education session required by ISPA.
- Complete the Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief form that is signed, and sworn or affirmed before a Commissioner for Taking Affidavits.
Parents must submit an original copy of the above documents to the Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit. Photocopies are not accepted.
For more information please e-mail email@example.com to get connected with a Public Health Nurse.