Skip to content

Immunization Notices

Why Did My Child Receive an Immunization Notice?

Students aged 4–17 attending school in Ontario must be immunized according to Ontario’s Publicly Funded Immunization schedule. Being fully immunized protects students against many diseases that are easily spread in schools.

Under the Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA), students are required to be immunized against:

  • Diphtheria
  • Tetanus
  • Polio
  • Pertussis (whopping cough)
  • Measles
  • Mumps
  • Rubella
  • Varicella (chickenpox) (born in 2010 or later)
  • Meningococcal disease

The Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit, regularly conducts audits to identify students who do not have up to date immunization records. Students who do are missing information OR if the required immunizations were not given in accordance with Ontario’s Publicly Funded immunization schedule will receive an Immunization Notice.

If you do not provide the required information or have a valid exemption on file, students will receive a Notice of Suspension and will not be able to attend school until the required information is received.

How Can I Tell if My Child is Missing Immunizations?

Compare your child’s yellow immunization card with the health unit record that is provided on the front page of the Immunization Notice. If your child has received immunizations that are not included on the health unit record, you can update the Health Unit via:

For students in JK, updates can be made through:

  • Online: Immunization Update
  • E-mail: (a photo or scan of the form and record is accepted)
  • Fax: 613-283-5410
  • Mail: Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit
    25 Johnston Street
    Smiths Falls, Ontario,
    K7A 0A4
    Attention: Immunization

For students in all other grades, updates can be made:

  • Online: Immunization Update
  • E-mail: (a photo or scan of the form and record is accepted)
  • Fax: 613-345-7038
  • Mail: Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit
    458 Laurier Boulevard
    Brockville, Ontario,
    K6V 7A3
    Attention: Immunization

What Do I Do if My Child Has Not Received the Required Immunizations?

Make an appointment with your health care provider to have your child immunized. If you do not have a Health Care Provider, your child can be immunized at one of the Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit Immunization Clinics.

If your child receives their immunization at your health care provider, you are responsible for updating the Health Unit with the required information.

I Am Not Able to Find My Child’s Immunization Record

You can find your immunization records:

  • Previous Health Care Providers:
    • Including visits to Public Health, and Hospital Emergency Departments.
    • If your Health Care Provider has retired you may be able to get your record from the College of Physicians and Surgeons at 1-800-268-7096. A fee may apply.
  • If you have moved to Ontario from another province or country contact your previous public health unit and request them to forward a copy to your current health unit

I Have Chosen Not to Immunize My Child

If your child is medically unable to receive the required immunizations, a statement of medical exemption must be completed by a physician or nurse practitioner.

As of September 1, 2017 parents choosing to not vaccinate their child for conscience or religious belief, must:

  • Complete the immunization education session required by ISPA.
  • Complete the Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief form that is signed, and sworn or affirmed before a Commissioner for Taking Affidavits.

Parents must submit an original copy of the above documents to the Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit. Photocopies are not accepted.

For more information please e-mail to get connected with a Public Health Nurse.