October 8, 2020
All Health Unit offices are closed to the walk-in public, effective Monday, March 23, 2020.
We are allowing some visitors that need to access our offices and service sites to deliver goods and services or to attend meetings with Health Unit staff. All visitors that have a prearranged permission to enter an office MUST complete the Visitor Screening Tool before entry is granted. Please communicate the result of the screen to your Health Unit contact person.
We are providing essential services only. If a service is not on the list below then that service is cancelled during the COVID-19 response.
Health Unit Phone Lines
The Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit has phone lines open for the public to call:
- The main number to call is 1-800-660-5853.
- General COVID-19 Enquiries – Extension 2499, available 5 days a week, from 8:30am until 4:30pm. As of August 8, 2020, our weekend phone line hours will change to 8:30am – Noon.
- We have a new school/parent phone line starting Tuesday, September 8, 2020: 1-866-236-0123 – Open 7:00am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday and 8:30am until 4:30pm on Sunday.
- Enquiries from Health Care Providers or for members of the public reporting symptoms – Extension 2222, available 5 days a week, from 8:30am until 4:30pm. As of August 8, 2020, our weekend phone line hours will change to 8:30am – Noon.
- Duty Desk, (Public Health Inspectors) for business operator enquiries – Extension 2308, available 5 days a week, from 8:30am until 4:30pm. As of August 8, 2020, our weekend phone line hours will change to 8:30am – Noon.
- For urgent calls that can’t wait until Health Unit regular hours, call 613-345-5685.
- We typically have a 24–48 hour response time, however, due to COVID-19 we are receiving a larger than normal volume of inquiries. Our Public Health Unit staff will do their best to respond back to you as soon as possible.
Note: Please do not include personal health information in any emails you send us as communications over the Internet are not secure.
Sexual Health Clinic
Most sexual health clinics are now open (see further details below). The doors will remain locked; and appointments will be booked to ensure physical distancing.
All clients will be screened for COVID-19 before entering the building. If you are experiencing symptoms, your appointment may be rescheduled. If you have access to a disposable or reusable mask, we kindly ask that you bring this with you and wear it, while inside the building. If you do not have access to a mask, we will provide you with one.
Call 1-800-660-5853 or the clinic closest to you, if you are in need of:
- Free STI testing and treatment
- Emergency contraception (Plan B)
- Affordable birth control
- Pregnancy testing and counseling
- PAP test (age 21–25)
- Naloxone kit
- Free condoms
Immunization Clinics will be closed until further notice. Call 1-800-660-5853 with any immunization questions.
Immunization Clinics are being offered for priority groups by appointment. Please call 1-800-660-5853 for further details.
Immunization remains an important part of a healthy lifestyle.
Vaccines will be offered at the Health Unit for
- Infants aged 2 months to 18 months (if you do not have a health care provider or your health care provider is not providing immunization at this time).
- Health care workers requiring vaccinations for work in a health care setting (excluding TB testing).
- High risk individuals, with a referral from their health care provider.
Please call 1-800-660-5853 to book an appointment or to speak with a member of the immunization team.
For 2020/2021 the school immunization program will be conducted at host schools throughout Leeds, Grenville and Lanark.
Smart Works Services and Needle Exchange
Smart Works Services and Needle Exchange now available at the following Health Unit locations: Brockville, Smiths Falls, Gananoque, Kemptville, Perth and Almonte. Our Gananoque, Kemptville, Perth and Almonte NSP services are available during Sexual Health Clinic times. Please follow posted instructions located at the sites for service. Check our website for other sites where Smart Works services are available.
Well Water Testing; Water Bottle Pick-Up and Drop-Off
- Coolers and sample bottles will be available at Brockville and Smiths Falls office.
- For Almonte and Gananoque, please call 1-800-660-5853 before going to the service site.
- In Kemptville, North Grenville Municipal Centre, County Road 44, Monday to Thursday 9:00am to 4:00pm.
- The Office in Perth and is open for water bottle pick-up and drop-off Monday to Thursday 9:00am to 4:00pm (Clients have to knock on the door).
- Lanark Highlands Township Office Water Sampling Services are now available.
- For more information about well water testing visit the Drinking Water section of our website.
Quit Smoking and Vaping Services
The Health Unit is unable to offer nicotine replacement therapy (e.g., patches, gum, lozenges, etc.) at this time. Please call 1-800-660-5853 or visit us online at Helping Smokers Quit to learn more about quit supports that can be accessed online, by mail, phone, and text.
Other Essential Services for Clients
- Emergency dental visits
- Healthy Babies Healthy Children home visiting
Language Express – Preschool Speech and Language Services
Language Express in-person programs and appointments have been cancelled until further notice. If you are already a Language Express client, your service provider is available to provide support by telephone, email, or secure online video meetings. We encourage you to call your service provider or the Language Express office for more information. Click here for important information about online visits. There are lots of things you can be doing at home to help your child make progress on speech and language goals.
If you are not a client yet but would like to make a referral or get more information, please call our central office at 1-888-503-8885 or (613) 283-2742. Leave a message and someone will call you back. Take good care and we look forward to being able to see you again in person.
In-Person Prenatal Classes
Upcoming Almonte, Smiths Falls, Brockville, and Gananoque Prenatal classes have been cancelled.
Please note that all Baby Talk and Playgroups run by the EarlyON Centre have been cancelled until further notice.
Infant Feeding Clinic
Call 1-800-660-5853 with any infant feeding questions or to make an appointment for a clinic. See dates and locations here.
Good Food for a Healthy Baby
All Good Food for a Healthy Baby groups have been cancelled until further notice.
We are still offering Triple P Online for parents of 0–12 year olds and Teens at no cost. We will also provide support over the phone! If you have any parenting questions or concerns, please connect with us! Call 613-345-5685 or 1-800-660-5853 or email email@example.com.
- Vaccine distribution to health care providers
- Ontario Works and ODSP claim payments
The Leeds Grenville Poverty Reduction Alliance has cancelled their next meeting on Monday, March 30, 2020 from 4:00pm–6:00pm at The Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit’s Brockville office at 458 Laurier Boulevard.
Public Health Inspections
- Public health inspectors will be responding to inquiries
- Responding to adverse water results
- Rabies and animal bite investigation and follow-up
- Investigations of health hazards
- Responding to complaints and questions
- Investigate complaints for infection prevention and control lapses in personal (hairdressing, tattoos) and non-personal (i.e. medical offices) service settings
- Case and Contact Follow up of communicable disease
- Investigate and manage outbreaks including facilitating delivery of specimens to PHO lab
- Land Control and complaints related to sewage systems