October 25, 2021
Our recent data for Leeds, Grenville and Lanark shows that 64.3% of pregnant women have received one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine and only 54.4% have received two doses.
Pregnant individuals are eligible and recommended to get 2 doses of COVID-19 vaccine as soon as possible, at any stage in pregnancy (even the first trimester). While pregnant individuals were not included in trials for COVID-19 vaccines, hundreds of thousands of pregnant individuals have now received COVID-19 vaccines and there were no significant health concerns found for the woman or her baby.
Benefits of COVID-19 Vaccine in Pregnancy
- Protection from being sick with COVID-19 – fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath, and feeling unwell with tiredness and muscle aches and pains.
- Protection from hospitalization from COVID-19 symptoms. About one in ten pregnant women with COVID-19 will need hospitalization and some will need to go to intensive care and be on a ventilator. This is, in part, because the pressure of the baby on the diaphragm affects breathing, and the COVID-19 virus also affects the lungs and breathing.
- Protects the baby from being born early if the woman has COVID-19.
- Provides protection for the baby when the antibodies developed by the mother go through breastmilk to the baby.
- The COVID-19 vaccine doesn’t affect fertility.
How to get your COVID-19 vaccine in Leeds, Grenville and Lanark:
- Book into one of our community clinics using the online booking system (Pomelo Platform (healthmyself.net) or call 1-844-369-1234 – walk-ins are available but booking can reduce wait time.
- COVID-19 Vaccine is also available at local pharmacies and from your health care provider
For more information and resources, visit:
- COVID-19 – SOGC Resources
- COVID-19 | AOM (ontariomidwives.ca)
- COVID-19 Vaccination: Special Populations – Vaccination in Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Decision-Making Support Tool (gov.on.ca)
- COVID-19 Protection & Vaccines – Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit
For media responses, contact: Susan Healey, Communications Co-ordinator, 613-802-0550 or Katie Jackson, Manager, 613-812-0416 or send an email to: [email protected].