December 6, 2021
A significant increase in cases of COVID-19 has occurred in the past week in the United Counties of Leeds-Grenville Central region, primarily in Brockville. COVID-19 is easily spread if precautions are not followed.
For the public, we all can help to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Get vaccinated, including the third dose of COVID-19 vaccine when eligible, and follow COVID-19 precautions at all times.
- Pay attention to even mild symptoms and stay home to see if further COVID-19 symptoms develop.
- Complete the online self-assessment; and if you are recommended for testing, self- isolate, and seek testing at an Assessment Centre or pharmacy participating in the testing program.
- Reduce close contact outside of one’s household with people who are not fully vaccinated.
- Practice physical distancing – stay 2 meters (6 feet) away from people in public areas.
- Wear a well fitted mask when you cannot stay 6 feet away from people out in public – and in indoor public spaces as required.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer after being in touch with others or handling anything from outside your home.
At this busy time of year when interacting with patrons, the Health Unit is strongly urging businesses and services to follow COVID-19 precautions:
- All employees should wear a mask in the workplace, alongside physical distancing.
- In addition, employees must wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) that protects their eyes (e.g., safety goggles/glasses, face shield), and mouth/nose (e.g. surgical mask), if in the course of providing services they are:
- Required to come within 2 metres of another person who is not wearing a mask or face covering.
- In an indoor area and are not separated by plexiglass or some other impermeable barrier.
To prevent COVID-19 transmission in the workplace the following public health measures must continue to be implemented.
- COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective. Encourage unvaccinated employees to become vaccinated and for those who are eligible for a booster to do so.
- Actively screen employees daily and prior to entering the work place.
- Employees must stay home if unwell. Employees should get tested for COVID-19 even if they have mild symptoms.
- Physical distancing (2M/6FT) is still the most effective way to control the spread of COVID-19, configure your workspace to allow for physical distancing including the lunch/staff or locker rooms.
- Ventilation systems in the workplace must be properly maintained. Consider opening windows to allow for additional fresh air to enter the workspace i.e. kitchen, lunch rooms etc.
- Masks must be worn while indoors and within 2M/6ft distance of any other employee.
- Masks and eye protection must be worn when coming into contact with the public while their masks are removed i.e. eating, drinking, facial procedure etc.
- Redeploy workers to another job where they can maintain physical distance (2M/6ft) or are behind an impermeable barrier at all times if they have a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask.
- Ensure impermeable barriers are installed in locations such as at the cash register or service counters.
- Clean and disinfect commonly touched surfaces as often as necessary to maintain hygiene.
- Promote proper hand hygiene and cough/sneeze etiquette.
- A workplace safety plan is required. Guide to developing your COVID-19 workplace safety plan | ontario.ca
For media interviews, contact: or Susan Healey, Communications Co-ordinator, 613-802-0550 or Katie Jackson, Manager, 613-812-0416 or email med[email protected].