May 14, 2020
On May 14, 2020 The Ontario Government announced some re-opening strategies for businesses and a plan to start Stage 1 on Tuesday, May 19, 2020. The list of businesses opening this weekend can be found on the Ontario website.
The Health Unit has recently published a fact sheet with some guidelines that will help to get your business thinking about public health measures that need to be taken when re-opening. This fact sheet can be found on the COVID-19 page of our website.
If you are a business owner and you’re wondering if you can open, we strongly encourage you to seek clarification with the Ontario Essential Services Line at 1-888-444-3659 is it called Stop the Spread Business Information Line at 1-888-444-3659. You can find information about what procedures your business must have in place prior to opening: https://www.ontario.ca/page/resources-prevent-covid-19-workplace
The public is also anxious to start shopping at local businesses again. It is important to remember that COVID-19 is still around, and although the curve is flattening, there is still a risk of it spreading in the community. Here are some ways to help protect ourselves, others and to keep the curve from rising again:
- If you’re sick stay home; use delivery options or get items dropped off by friends or family
- Observe physical distancing rules; maintain at least a 6 foot/2metre distance between yourself and others
- Be patient and follow store procedures to maintain physical distancing
- Try to shop during less busy times to avoid crowds
- Wear a cloth face covering if you have to go into a small space where maintaining distance is difficult or when it is required by a business
- Practise good hand hygiene, carry hand wipes or hand sanitizer with you at all times; don’t rely on others to supply it.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
Most importantly, be kind to others. This is a difficult situation for everyone.
The Health Unit has staff answering COVID-19 related questions and concerns for the public from 8:30am to 4:30pm every day at 1-800-660-5853 extension 2499. Public Health Inspectors are also available to discuss environmental health concerns. You can also get more information about COVID-19 by visiting www.healthunit.org/coronavirus or by connecting with LGLHealthUnit on Facebook and Twitter.
For media interviews, contact: Susan Healey, Communications Co-ordinator, 613-802-0550 or email@example.com.