August 28, 2019
Our health as adults is influenced by our early childhood years… Affordable, accessible, quality child care is an important part of every community. Families, communities and the province all benefit from the investment of quality childcare.
“It is a cost saving measure to invest in growth and development in the early years so we can save more money on health care and social support later on in life” states, Tanis Brown, Registered Nurse.
Benefits of access to affordable, accessible and quality child care:
- More parents can choose to work outside the home
- Economic growth
- Easing the financial burden on parents
- Ensuring all children have the right to: Belonging, Well-being, Engagement and Expression
Risks of NO access to affordable, accessible and quality child care:
- Employment loss
- Skipped meals and health care needs to pay for child care costs
- Mental health and relationship strain for parent and child
- Compromise child care quality for affordability
- Parents having to relocate to access childcare
- Children spending large periods of time in transit
- Children being put at risk, being left on their own
Across Leeds, Grenville and Lanark there is the demand for licensed child care spaces, Registered Early Childhood Educators and Licensed Home-Based Child Care Providers to meet the needs of families across the tri-county.
For more information on child care, visit www.healthunit.org or call 1-800-660-5853.
To arrange media interviews, contact: Susan Healey, Communications Co-ordinator 613-802-0550