June 6, 2018
Culture and traditions shape our behaviors and attitudes. The way we dress, the food we prefer, and our taste in music are examples of culture. Culture is a social determinant of health and plays an important role in our health and well-being.
Why is a culture important?
Culture contributes to:
- Personal benefits – enjoying free time, being entertained, learning about others and sharing life experiences
- Life skills – developing problem-solving skills, building self-esteem and improving resilience
- Physical and emotional health – decreasing isolation, promoting self-identity and intercultural understanding
- Vibrant communities – economic benefits from job creation, tourism and cultural community planning
What is in our communities to support culture?
- Leeds Grenville Immigration Portal
- Move to Lanark
- Brockville Newcomers Club
- Lanark County Tourism
- St. Lawrence-Rideau Immigration Partnership
- Lanark Immigration Partnership
- Discover Leeds Grenville
- Baha’i Community of Brockville
- Refugees for Brockville
- Chinese and Canadian Heritage Association – for more information, Peter Au: [email protected]
- Francophone Immigration Support Network of Eastern Ontario
If you have a group or a resource to share on culture and diversity in Leeds, Grenville and Lanark let us know so we can help to spread the word.
For more information on culture, visit the Social Determinants of Health section of our website or call 1-800-660-5853.
Tanis Brown, Public Health Nurse or Alexis Green, Public Health Nurse
613-345-5685 or 1-800-660-5853