October 4, 2016
Does Your JK Child Need Help With Speech and Language? Language Express Can Help!
Your child has started school… Now what? Your role as your child’s most important teacher doesn’t end when he or she starts Kindergarten. In fact, your job gets bigger!
Your child needs you to:
- Be involved and keep in touch with teachers.
- Provide lots of love.
- Talk and listen.
- Read with your child every day.
- Get down and play with your child.
- Provide daily physical activity through active play.
- Provide good nutrition.
- Have regular daily routines.
- Arrange regular health and development check-ups, including vision and hearing.
- Arrange for a speech and language assessment if there are concerns.
Sometimes when children start JK, it becomes clear that they are struggling with speech, language, or literacy skills. The start of JK is also when problems with stuttering often start or get worse. Check your child’s speech and language development using the checklists at www.language-express.ca. Don’t wait and see! Contact Language Express right away. We can help your child and provide helpful ideas for you and your child’s teachers.
Referrals for JK children must be received by January 31 of their JK year. In other words, children born in 2012 must be referred by January 31, 2017.
For more information, check out the latest newsletter on the Language Express website at www.language-express.ca, or call us at 1-888-503-8885.
Catherine Robinson, Program Manager, Language Express, at 613-283-2740, extension 2260