How to Enjoy Winter Activities
There are many ways we can enjoy being active during the winter months: play games as a group, try the winter activity checklist, and walking. It is important to be active in nature all year round.
Some activities, like shovelling snow, can be hard work. Make sure you are used to doing vigorous activity regularly before picking up the shovel, take your time, go slow and take breaks to catch your breath. If you aren’t active regularly, borrow a snowblower, hire a helper or ask for help from family, friends or neighbours. This can be a great way to connect with people and make this chore more fun. Winter safety and knowing how to prevent frostbite and hypothermia are things to consider before going outside. Try out a new winter sport, and learn about how to enjoy it safely.
Local Information On Activities Near You
- Carleton Place
- Lanark Highlands
- Mississippi Mills
- Smiths Falls
- Tay Valley
Walking is a great activity that requires little equipment, skill and is very affordable. Try:
Living in Canada can create unique challenges for walking during the winter. Here are some tips to keep in mind.
Dress for the Weather
- Dress in layers (wear something waterproof for your top layer and remove the inside layers first).
- Wear appropriate footwear for the weather, such as something warm, waterproof, and long boots if there is deep snow with good tread for slippery days.
- Wear a scarf, hat and mitts.
- Wear sunscreen with an SPF of 30+. Sunlight reflects off of snow and ice. You can still get a sunburn and cause damage to your skin in the winter.
- Replace your wet clothes with dry ones. This will keep you warm and comfortable.
- Check out the Winter Safety Tip Sheet