On March 21, 2022, the Ministry of Education removed all limitations on in-person gatherings and assemblies, thereby allowing schools to plan and host in-person events.
To support decision-making regarding an event, the Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit encourages schools to consider their absenteeism rate and their community’s COVID-19 status.
If you choose to plan or host a school event, consider the following health and safety measures:
- Use a well-ventilated area with plenty of space where participants can physically distance if they choose to do so. Where possible, gather outdoors for more space and good ventilation.
- If the event is held in an indoor crowded area, encourage participants to think about wearing a mask.
- All participants (staff, students, volunteer, family members etc.) should self-screen prior to attending the event using the COVID-19 School and Child Care Screening tool.
- Post a sign with COVID-19 symptoms at the entrance and ask participants not to enter if they have a symptom(s).
- Post a sign reinforcing hand hygiene and provide hand sanitizer at key locations such as at the entrance or by shared items.
- Encourage mask wearing, particularly if older adults or immunocompromised individuals will be participating in the event to help protect them from serious illness as a result of a COVID-19 infection.
If you are serving food, consult Food in Schools during COVID-19 for more COVID-19 health and safety measures.