Food Handler Certification
While currently not mandatory in all areas of Ontario, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care encourages all high and moderate risk food premises to have a least one certified food handler present at all times during hours of operation. The Health Unit works with local food businesses to help meet their training needs by providing the following options for learning.
- Classroom Style Learning – One day course includes course materials and exam for $35.00.
- Home-study Manual – Work at your own pace. Download the Home-study Manual free of charge or purchase a printed copy at the Health Unit for $15.00.
- Book your exam when you are ready for a fee of $25.00 by calling the Health Unit at 1-800-660-5853.
- Online Learning – In Good Hands Module – Register directly. Book your exam when you are ready for a fee of $25.00 by calling the Health Unit at 1-880-660-5853.
A minimum grade of 70% must be achieved on a standardized closed book multiple choice exam in order to receive your food handler certificate. Picture ID is required to take the exam. This certificate is accepted by all health units in Ontario and is valid for 5 years.
What Topics Are Covered in this Course?
The topics that are covered within this course include:
- Introduction to Food Safety and Legislation
- Food-borne Illness
- Conditions Bacteria Require for Growth (FATTOM)
- Safe Food Handling
- Understanding Cross-contamination
- Receiving and Storage
- Safe Food Service
- Food Handler Hygiene
- Cleaning and Sanitizing
- Pest Control
- Keeping Food Safe During Emergencies
- HACCP Food Safety Management
Free Online Learning Presentations
The Food Handler Certification Course is general in nature, and applies to all food settings, the following presentations provide more information for specific settings:
- Food Safety in the Institutional Setting – This presentation focuses on issues specific to the institutional food setting. It builds on the foundation provided by the Food Handler Certification course. Staff working with food in the hospital, retirement home, long term care and day care setting will benefit from completing this module. This module takes approximately 25 minutes to complete.
- To Market To Market – A Safe Food Handling Module for Vendors at Farmers’ Markets. This presentation focuses on food safety issues specific to vendors preparing and selling food at local farmers’ markets. This module takes approximately 35 minutes to complete.
- Food Safety for Caterers – This presentation focuses on food safety requirements specific to caterers and builds on the foundation provided by the Food Handler Certification course. This module takes about 25 minutes to complete.
How to Register for the Classroom Style Learning Option
Courses will be provided on the following dates and locations:
Brockville Office: 458 Laurier Boulevard
- Monday, March 26, 2018 – NOW FULL
- Monday, May 28, 2018
- Monday, September 24, 2018
- Monday, November 26, 2018
Smiths Falls Office: 25 Johnston Street
- Monday, February 26, 2018
- Monday, April 23, 2018
- Monday, June 25, 2018
- Monday, October 29, 2018
- Monday, December 10, 2018
Full day courses run from 9:00am–4:00pm with breaks including a half hour break for lunch (please bring your own refreshments and lunch). Registration starts at 8:30am when the office is open for business.
Class sizes are limited to 25 participants and registration is on a first come basis.
As many people are sensitive to scents and fragrances we ask that you do not use these products when attending a course at the Health Unit.
We require that all personal devices be turned off during the instructional period to ensure participants are not disturbed.
To register please call 613-345-5685 (Brockville office) or 613-283-2740 (Smiths Falls office). Toll Free Number 1-800-660-5853.
Picture ID is required to take the exam.
Certificates will be issued within 15 business days.